Where do I begin?
I'm listening to Great Expectations for the 50th time in the last hour (<3 The '59 Sound) while I drink a beer and tell the Internet all about my fears for tomorrow. In the last week I've finished finals, said goodbye to people I hope to see again, moved out of Athens, said hello and goodbye to my high school friends in one sweep, and found out that my friends relationship's have crumbled.
I was going through my books, trying to find something to take me to Ecuador, and I stumbled upon Women by Charles Bukowski. It's my favorite of his. I opened it up and I read the line:
"I masturbated regularly, but the idea of having a relationship with a woman - even on nonsexual terms - was beyond my imagination."
It's 3 AM, I'm drinking in my parent's basement (I've only had one, relax), and one of the most comforting thing I can find is from a Bukowski novel. I am a melodramatic mess.
Welcome to my blog.
I make no promises that this will be funny or insightful. In fact, past this post, I don't make any promises that I will be making any more posts. I don't care if anybody reads this (please do) because I am doing this for myself. Fuck OEA (Ohio of Education Abroad). They rejected me to write blogs for them but it's ok I was going to do this anyway. Maybe I'll post what I wrote for them. Just remember, if this is terrible, you click the x in the upper right (or left if you're using OSX/Ubuntu) you can close this window and I no longer exist.
In 9 hours I am going to Ecuador.
Why am I going to Ecuador?
This is like saying "Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain, why is he climbing a mountain?" There's no logical answer besides "because he can." I've spent countless nights trying to figure this out and I don't have a reason other than because I have to. I find it amusing that for the last three years I have been studying Chinese and now I am going to a Spanish speaking country. After three years I realized that I don't like Chinese all that much. It doesn't sound nice to me. I should've stuck with Spanish. Sorry mom.
This post feels like it's all over. I know I've made several references to inside jokes and incidents that not everyone knows about. Do you ever watch the community? I feel like the character Abed. I make lots of references to TV, movies, games, and aspects of my life that not everybody gets. If there's anything that you don't get just Google it.
I suppose this post should be about Ecuador, or at least mention it a few times, and my feelings about the whole matter. I am terrified. There is nothing that I could've done to prepare myself for the trip that I have ahead of me. Everyone keeps telling me "Good luck" which is nice but I wish they would've stopped there. It's always followed by something like "please come back." Am I being naive or do we know nothing about South America?
Alright I better go to bed. Or go back to packing. I haven't quite finished packing yet and I have to be at the airport around 10:30. Yikes. I don't know when I'll get Internet again but hopefully the hotel tomorrow will have it. I will post my thoughts about the flight and there's some things I've been meaning to say but I haven't had the time to iron them out.
I'm so glad my high school friends in PA are all still very close. Some of us are even living together now. But that's probably to do with there's only about 7 of us, and only 2 of us continued with college.
ReplyDeleteWe're all still great friends (minus like one or two of us) and all but we have to move onto later stages of our lives.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that I didn't tag you and maybe you're feeling left out but it's been five years you've moved away and a lot has happened. Even from when you moved to us going to college, a lot happened and a lot fell apart from what you knew.
Oh, I know, I didn't expect anything different.
ReplyDeleteHave fun on your trip