Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Where I'm From....

So...for class...because we didn't have enough homework...we all had to write a "Where I'm From" poem. That would've been easy. 10 minutes of work. Tops. There also is no challenge in that. I was listening to "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and I've only got books written by the beats with me so I decided to challenge the poem, challenge myself: Make it about as long as I can. In somewhat of an act of defiance, they gave me no length limit, it turned out long. Really long. It even broke the format. And since I had to type it I figured I might as well share. Enjoy?\

Revisionist Lament

I saw the best minds of my class, driven crazy by the pressures of the AP Tests

Forced into a stressed-induced madness caused by the urgent need of Ivy

Where average was not an option and State wasn’t an option

And anything but out-of-state meant failure


I’m from the backwater farms of China

Where Mao persecuted the innocent and revolutionized the culture

Where the women bind their feet and the marriages are prearranaged

Where sneakers are made for a dollar and iPods for three

And if you squint on dreary summer night

You can still see the China my grandfather left behind


I’m from the mean streets of Hong Kong

Where so many fled

Where Bruce Lee changed the world

Where the British ruled and Canto reigned supreme


I’m from the city of Caracas

Where they missed out on the Great Leap Forward

Where Simon Bolivar is king and gas is 20 centavos

Where democracy means dictatorship and “blank page” is synonymous with “Constitution”


I’m from the United States

West Side born and raised

Where Chinese isn’t American

From where English only is unacceptable

Where working in a hole in the wall is better than jook-sing

Where I have a name that’s anything but jook-sing


I’m from my parents basement

Like a lot of other basements

Where Sega Genesis meant nothing

And Super Nintendo was everything

Where football was foreign

And baseball? More like basebore


I’m from the ring

Where Stunners were the end all be all

Where Cactus Jack was everything

And HHH was the king of kings

Where El Santo did no wrong

Where Brody did what he wanted when he wanted

And Eddie did it all for a hot dog and a coke


I’m from a Viola

Is it bigger than a Violin?

Or is it smaller than a Cello

The butt of every music joke

Good music, boring parts

Alto clef, what the $%^# is that?

So many hours practiced

So many hours wasted

Oh where did you go my friend?

Nearly always at my side

Now sitting under my bed


I’m from a summer camp

Like a lot of other summer camps

Seven strangers

Passion for music

They’ll never know what they mean to me


I’m from a bookstore

Just like many other bookstores

Salinger, Bukowski, Kerouac, Burroughs Hemmingway, Heller

Who needs a beer?

I’ve got Ham on Rye for my Naked Lunch

I know For Whom the Bell Tolls

It tolls for thee


I’m from the Internet

I’m never gonna give you up

Lou Lynx is a friend of mine

4chan is Something Awful

All Your Base Are Belong to Us

It’s so cold in here

From pirating everything

Because paying is for suckers


I’m from Streetlight Manifesto

Where Everything Went Numb Somewhere in the Between

From Bomb the Music Industry

Where everything is Scrambles

I’m from the Clash

Where London Calls

This is my Gaslight Anthem

Listen to my ’59 Sound

From Rancid

…And Out Come the Wolves


I’m from those damn Dogs

Who mark everything as their own

Who jump on the table and eat my eggs

Who won’t stop following you

Who don’t care if you come home

But never want you to leave

Who won’t leave you alone

But you can’t leave them alone either

From a lot of late nights

Sitting up writing code

Banging my head on my desk

Wondering why everything core dumps

And why I didn’t become a Business major

Or Linguistics or Spanish

Or almost anything but this


From a small Green town

Where the drink of choice is Natty Light

And Parties before Homework

Where Zeitgeist is truth

And recycling is anything but a waste

Where I am a stranger in a familiar land

BG, Toledo, Cincinnati

Why aren’t I there?

Why aren’t I anywhere but here?


From a department on campus

Where I babysit adults

Who can’t hold their liquor

For those who can’t drink elsewhere

From the rich white kids

Who can’t find anything better to do with $18k

Other than to party

Dealing with all of that

Just to hope

That I can at least be anything but

Just a Hall Monitor


I’m from a lot of lonely nights at the bar

Amongst all my friends

Right here in Cuenca

Where there is no way to describe myself

Other than “Alone in the Crowd”


I’m from a lot of boring nights

Spent driving around

Accompanied by Taco Bell and Slurpees

There was never any place to go

But there was always an urgent need to belong

From one pizza buffet to another

Maybe a Chinese buffet here and there

Always stuffing my face

Always going for just one more slice

Modesty

Not an option


I’m from those crazy relationships

Gabby, Rebecca, Maria

Mooses, Red Roses, Slurpees

So long ago

Yet still with me


I’m from a lot of hopeful nights

Where I sat around waiting

Hoping that they wouldn’t ditch me again tonight

Oh Janey

Where did we go wrong?


I’m from road trips

From Cleveland to the UP

And Cleveland to Boston

Three friends, one car, 11 hours

The quintessential American Road Trip


I’m from a small city in America

Like a lot of other cities in America

Where you can find me at Applebees on any given Friday

And Borders any given Saturday

Where I meet up with all my friends from what seem like previous lives

And I wonder

How did I get here?

1 comment: